The IFF World Model is composed of twelve factors. On the detailed pages of this site each factor is described in five ways:
- a description of the content covered by the single word title (eg ‘biosphere’);
- a synopsis of the current situation and some noticeable trends suggestive of what the future might hold;
- one or more potential discontinuities within the dynamics of each factor which could break the current trend. These are harder to see and more dangerous because they can trigger shocks and surprises;
- key mainstream web sources to help expand the viewpoint and verify perspectives;
- a rolling scan of recent relevant developments that highlight the condition of that factor.
In this way the World System Model forms a scanning framework for general use. We hope in time to open the scanning function to a wide number of participants around the world on an open innovation model. This way of using the model is evolving into a Platform for Planetary Learning.